Patient Partnership & Consent Mission Statement
Whatever the context in which medical decisions are made, clinicians and their staff must work in partnership with patients to ensure good care. In so doing, clinicians and their staff must:
- listen to patients and respect their views about their health
- discuss with patients what their diagnosis, prognosis, treatment and care involve
- share with patients the information they want or need in order to make decisions
- maximise patients’ opportunities, and their ability, to make decisions for themselves
- respect patients’ decisions
Moatfield Surgery works under the guidance of the GMC guidelines of consent. Each member of staff is encouraged to use these guidelines in their personal practice.
If patients wish for a friend or family member to be involved in any part of their care e.g. collect prescriptions or make appointments, these patients must ensure that consent has been granted in writing to the surgery first for this to be actioned.